How to Use an Electric Smoker
When it comes to celebrations, nothing compares to home-cooked dishes and there’s no better way to celebrate gatherings by cooking dishes from a smoker. The delicious scent of smoked meat and flavors often brings the family together. This is also the reason why many homeowners want to enjoy cooking their own smoked meats any time and with the help of an electric smoker, you can surely experiment with your dishes.
With the use of different meat, seasoning and a reliable electric smoker, you can surely say that you have the perfect food to serve to your family, friends and guests. That being said, it is important that you know how to use an electric smoker. The proper use of this appliance can help you get the best flavors of smoked meat that will surely impress everyone. If you want to know how you can do this then let this article be your guide.
Deciding on the Type of Electric Smoker
Before you use an electric smoker, it is important that you know what kind of electric smoker you need to buy. There are different types of electric smokers out in the market today like the electric cabinet smokers and vertical water electric smokers for example. These two may be both electric smokers but they function differently and they differ in prices.
The vertical electric smokers are cheaper compared to the cabinet smoker. They are also mostly used during warm climates especially during summer. They work well but they are only good for a certain period. Electric cabinet smokers on the other hand are designed with control panels that you can use and is usually known for their cabinet or refrigerator shape.
So if you are going to choose an electric smoker, choose something that can be used all year round. This way you don’t have to waste money on two separate smokers. Once you have the electric smoker of your choice, here are the steps you should follow on how to use an electric smoker.
- Place the electric smoker in a safe place: This is the first thing you need to consider before anything else. It could be anywhere you like just as long as it is well-ventilated and fire proof. If you have a specific place made for your smokers then even better. It is important that the smoker is places in a flat surface and is able to sustain the smoker’s weight. It should be a flat concrete where smoke can be secured and at the same time safe for the owner to use.
- Add water to your pan; as to how much the water should be will depend on your preference while cooking. The water will help keep the temperature of the smoker stable and makes sure that the grease from any mean does not start fire while cooking.
- Add the wood chips to your smoker: If you are using a specific brand like the Masterbuilt then you will find it easy to add them on the slide doors. You can add the wood chips without opening the entire smoker. However you can also choose the fuel you want, some people like wood chunks but before choosing what kind of fuel you want to use, it’s best to test them first. Make sure to fill up the tray enough to last for the entire cooking or you can add them per batch if you like.
- Turn on the electric smoker to the temperature you want but do not add the meat just yet. Make sure that the smoke is hot enough before you add the meat. Once the smoker is hot enough, wait until there is enough smoke first. A clean and clear smoke means that the chemicals are cleared. It is usually bluish in color and is thinner compared to the initial smoke you started.
- After the smoke is clear, add the meat of your choice: Make sure to do this as quickly as you can so you can still retain the heat inside. Close the smoker’s doors and wait for your food to be done.
- Once the meat is fully smoked, take out the meat from the smoker and arrange it in a plate along with the side dish. Serve and enjoy them with your family and friends!
- If you wish to know if the meat you have inserted in the smoker is fully done, make sure to invest in a good meat thermometer. This allows you to check on the meat’s doneness without any hassle. Make sure to find one that is made from high quality materials and is safe to use.
- Buying electric smokers should be easy; check on the latest electric smokers on Amazon.com or eBay. Read about the reviews and compare prices. Check which one is the most preferred brand used by many people and see how it goes. Narrow your options and find the ones you like best and compare. Make sure to read the pros and cons as well so you can identify which ones are the best.
- If you are new to electric smokers, ask for advice from family members or friends who already had experience with smokers. This way it will be easier for you to see which electric smoker suits you well.
Categorised in: Tips & Maintenance